Ending hunger is no small challenge. Food banks play a critical role, but we can’t do it alone. Fighting hunger is not only about providing emergency food to people in need--it also means taking action to address the root causes of hunger and poverty.The California Association of Food Banks (CAFB) and our food bank network are committed to advocating for anti-hunger programs and policies at the federal, state and local levels. Learn more about hunger in California.
We work with decision-makers at state and federal levels to understand the food banking and hunger landscape:
- provide expert testimony on hunger-related issues and legislation.
- support and sponsor legislation related to hunger, nutrition, and poverty
- host an annual Legislative Day for food banks to educate state legislators about hunger in their districts
- participate in anti-hunger coalitions and partnering with leading anti-hunger organizations
- provide alerts on timely issues
State Advocacy Resource Pages:
Federal Advocacy Resource Pages:
Strengthening Food Bank Advocacy Programs:
California’s food banks were among the first in the nation to include policy and advocacy work as a core part of their anti-hunger efforts. CAFB assists our members by providing venues to communicate with policy makers and offering leadership in strategy and message development. We provide members with capacity building and technical assistance in developing their advocacy programs, along with sample advocacy materials and a comprehensive guide, “Food Bank Guide to Policy Advocacy: Best Practices and Action Ideas for Influencing Public Policy to End Hunger.”
If your member food bank is interested in developing or expanding an advocacy program, please contact Andrew Cheyne, Director of Government Affairs, at email@example.com or 510-350-9915.
- Secured $8M for the CalFood program, the state budget's only funding for food banks.
- Secured $5.5M for food bank infrastructure grants, our state's first budget investment in food bank infrastructure needs in over 20 years.
- Co-led the successful effort to end SSI/SSP 'cash-out,' enabling Californians on SSI to receive CalFresh benefits starting in the summer of 2019.
Advocates from Feeding America San Diego gather for Hunger Action Day 2014